Babamarusia's Roost

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

The Christian Controversy of Death

I am in a quandry about death. As a Christian I am supposed to look forward to my new life to come after death, even desire it. Yet, I am also supposed to cherish life, make life worthy, and cling to it with all my being for as long as possible. Personally, I hate death--the act of death to be exact. I hate the results and consequences feasted not upon the person who has died, but for all the people who have a connection with who is dead. There is no control over it. In a five-year time span one person will know no one who has died, yet another person will know multiple people. Of this multiple group of people there can be many who are very close in relationship with the die-ers.

Maybe I don't hate death as much as I am weary of it. In the last five years there have been many--some young and tragic, and some old yet missed. I find it curious that one of the first questions asked by others when I announce a death is the age of the die-er. Is my grief for one whom I loved so dearly expected to be in direct relationship with their age? Maybe every year that passes should lower my grief level by one percent. Thus, if someone I know dies at the ripe old age of 100 there should be no time of grieving. When my Aunt Anna died in the 103rd year of her life it follows that I should have had a party and whooped it up!

For the young and tragic, there is sorrow over what might have been. I can't deny that. For the old I am happy that they are well again. I can't say there have been many middle-aged deaths around me recently. I guess when someone is in that period of life it should be said, "She had a life half well-lived." Hmmm.... a new category of die-ers. Now that I have thought it I can't take it back, and that's too bad because I don't want to start a new trend.

It's time for God to turn off the fawcet. It is time for death to take a rest rather than for the dead to be at rest, because I who am still here wish some respit from the onslaught of sorrow that overwhelms me when another that I love has died.

So, God, I know you are listening because you always do and I am telling you that I need a rest. I was not ready for the last five or six+ to leave me, and I am not ready now for the one who is very sick to join you. The only solution then is for you to make her better. Get busy, please.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home