Babamarusia's Roost

Friday, September 08, 2006

Belonging

I wonder about belonging, and how it can affect a person's emotional well-being. There are relationships that are complete within themselves, such as a couple who may be so caught up with each other that there is little need for others. On the opposite end are persons who constantly to always be surrounded with people and activity. Abused children have such a desire to be wanted that they will continue to seek approval from their abusers, even when aware of how much damage is being inflicted upon them. As an adult I was surprised at my feelings upon the death of my mother, long after my father's passing. How could I, in my mid-40's, feel like I was an orphan?
Currently I have feelings of abandonment and betrayal. Of course it is very true that we must ultimately be responsible for our own well-being, because drawing our sense of rightness from others or things can easily lead to downfall when they or it fail. Yet, certain types of institutions and people are supposedly to stack a cut above the norm. I think that no matter how mentally well a person is, those unhealthy moments may be triggered in conflict situations, and then will have an affect whether manifested consciously or subconsciously.
From the Christian perspective, one may reason that Jesus had no home. And, though he always acted in kindness and love, he was not accepted. Yet again, whatever important relationships we may have the only one 100% complete and necessary is the one we have with our Lord and Saviour. Recently, I was seeking guidance and direction because of a change in my work situation. As I reminded myself of my belief that I was being led to where I was supposed to be, I kept my mind prayerful--and also fasted and took time to sit and think. Well, nothing was coming down through that telephone wire from the sky. Then it came to me--my job is to love God with my whole heart, mind, and strength, and bask in the light of His glow. That's it. This is where I am supposed to be, and in that spot there is no room to worry about the future. Once I started and continued to do this one simple act, I felt complete.
Too much thinking, like having too much need to belong no matter what the cost, draws away from the most simple, solid, healthy solution. This may sound utopian--but it isn't, because in our humanness feelings and emotions still play a roll (as they should). God didn't make us to be happy little clones, each like the one living next door. Just as he gave us the ability to be elated, feel sorrow, and love passionately, he gave us the need to receive them as well. This is where the desire to belong has its root.
Whether a person has many or few friends, there is only One who will never under any circumstance disappoint or fail to love--even through death, and that is He from whom we came and to whom we will return. That relationship is with God, who came to earth in the form of a man, and is still with us in the Holy Spirit. How sweet it is!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home